- 28 November - 2 December 2020
- 26 - 30 January 2021
- 25 February - 1 March 2021
Accomodation: Camping with own tents and bedding
Maximum of 18 hikers
You are invited to join us on a full moon adventure in the Karoo. The hike offers 5 different routes the longest being 16km and the shortest 8km. Some of these hikes will commence late in the afternoon were you will be able to experience the moon rising over the ancient landscape of the semi-dessert landscapes of the magnificent Karoo.
Basecamp will be at Bergvallei farm for the 4 nights. During the day hikers will have the option to read, play cards, swim in an old cement dam or take an afternoon nap. We will make use of the bathrooms and kitchen of the farmhouse and to escape from the heat during the day if necessary. Unfortunately there is not enough beds in the house to accommodate everyone, therefore we will be camping.
All the routes are jeep tracks into the ravines and onto the koppies where you will be rewarded with breathtaking views. You have a choice to hike on your own or with the group.
Day 1: Short afternoon hike, 8km (optional)
Day 2: Longer early morning hike, 17km
Day 3: Short early morning hike, 10km; Longer night hike, 14km
Day 4: Longer night hike, 16km
- 3 Meals per day. Including dinner on day 1 and breakfast on day 5.
- Coffee and tea with breakfast and dinner.
- For some hikes you will prepare a take away sandwich (ingredients will be provided).
What to pack:
- • Tent and bedding
- • Headlamp and batteries
- • Comfortable tekkies/Trail runners and clothes (we do not recommend hiking boots)
- • Hat and sunscreen
- • Warm clothes for the nights
- • Light windbreaker and raincoat
- • Swimsuit
- • Cutlery, cup and Tupperware with lid for take away sandwich.
- • Towel and toiletries
- • Chair
- • Camera and binoculars (optional)
- • Book and cards
- • Drinks and snacks
Arrival time is after 14h00 to settle in.
Late afternoon hike of 8km ±2½ hours(optional) will start around 16h00.
Morning hike of 17km ±6 hours
Hike starts at ±02h00.
Morning hike of 10km ±3 hours
Hike starts at ±04h00
Night hike of 14km ±6 hours
Hike starts at 16h00 (packing a take away meal that will be provided)
Night hike 16km ±6 hours
Hike starts at ±17h00 (packing a take away meal that will be provided)
Breakfast is served at 08h00 where after everyone can start the long drive home, till next time.